Bibliography management tools (also known as citation or reference management tools) help you organize your research sources and generate bibliographies in multiple citation formats.
Having chosen a bibliography management tool, you may install corresponding software onto your computer and work online as well as both online+offline.
Universal bibliography management tools Mendeley, EndNote, Zotero can be used by both individuals and research groups.
All the information and consultations on the usage of bibliography management tools are available at the Bibliographic Information Center: Irina L. Faruksha, phone: (+73822) 78-51-26, Faruksha@lib.tsu.ru
A free universal bibliography management tool and an academic social network. Aside from standard features of a bibliography management tool, Mendeley makes it possible to find colleagues who cite the same sources through the lists of references.
It is necessary to create an account on Mendeley website to get access to the program. Mendeley free plan offers 2 GB of storage space. Fee-based plans offer more storage space and creation of more groups.
With Mendeley you can:
- Download articles directly from such platforms as Science Direct.
- Store your documents in your personal library space, manage and use them any time both online and offline.
- Highlight parts of articles, comment them and share information with members of your research group.
- Create bibliographies and references for your new work with one click choosing the necessary style
- The limit of free library space is 2 GB.
EndNote (EndNote Online platform)
A bibliography management tool used for managing references and bibliographies. Free option is available in the online version of the program – EndNote Online.
To get access to the EndNote library log in (using your Web of Science account) or register
With EndNote library you can:
- Add references in your EndNote library directly from Web of Science.
- Store references in folders to access and use them any time.
- Generate formatted list of references using different styles.
- Get access to EndNote library from any computer in your institution.
A bibliography management tool suitable for both individual and group work, for cloud storage of full-text articles in your personal or group library. Zotero is a personal application for abstracting made as a plugin for Firefox or Chrome.
It is necessary to create an account on the website to start your work with the program.
With Zotero you can:
- Save bibliographic information not only in PDF format
- Create bibliography and insert references from saved data.
- Sync with server to store your database
- Index databases
- Create your account online
- Use Russian interface
- Zotero doesn’t need regular access to the Internet
- The limit of free library space is 300 MB.